ASTM International Launches Leadership Program
Providing a Pathway between Experienced and Emerging Leaders
To better promote the professional development opportunities resulting from involvement in standards development activities, ASTM International has launched a leadership program in 2013. This new “Leadership Connection” initiative offers educational resources that support the many skills acquired by engaging in ASTM technical committee activities.
Professional Development: The Hidden Gem of ASTM Membership
The Leadership Connection aims to raise awareness regarding the wealth of opportunities available for hands-on leadership experience that can position individuals for career growth. The program emphasizes how professionals can leverage their ASTM membership and involvement on standards-developing committees to:
• Enhance critical communications skills, including public speaking, presentation
and writing capabilities;
• Strengthen conflict resolution, team building and negotiating skills;
• Gain leadership experience by volunteering for officer positions on main committees, subcommittees, or task groups;
• Improve organizational skills and familiarity with parliamentary procedures;
• Interact directly with leading industry and government stakeholders from around the world; and
• Represent their company on major standards-related issues and initiatives.
“ASTM membership offers one of the richest learning and professional development environments you’ll find anywhere,” says Katharine Morgan, vice president, Technical Committee Operations, ASTM International. “At ASTM, it’s easy to find roles of added responsibility. Members who are committed to engage will find a clear and progressive path of leadership development.”
New Website Section Anchors Campaign
The hub of the Leadership Connection is a newly launched section of the ASTM website, which will serve as the gateway to the program’s resources. Features of the Leadership Connection area of the site include:
• Reference articles outlining strategies for succeeding as a standards professional;
• Best practice guidance for technical committee officers on orienting new members; and
• Information for employers highlighting the value and impact of standards on business growth and corporate performance.
New Mentoring Program
A central component of the Leadership Connection campaign is the ASTM Technical Committee Mentoring Program. The program pairs a new ASTM member with a seasoned one for personalized instruction on the inner-workings of ASTM technical committees. The aim is to more quickly involve new members in standards development activities. Members can request a mentor online and also sign-up for free online training workshops through the ASTM Virtual Classroom.
Michael P. Manahan Jr., a Ph.D. candidate in mechanical engineering at the Pennsylvania State University, and winner of the 2012 ASTM International Graduate Scholarship, sees strong growth potential for young professionals who join ASTM, “If you are a young professional who is passionate about your field, ASTM technical committees offer the ability to meet and learn from recognized experts, while working directly on the standards that will influence entire industries. ASTM membership offers the resources that create opportunities for meaningful contribution to your field and also can support your goals for career growth,” notes Manahan.
For additional information on the Leadership Connection program and the various resources available, visit www.astm.org/LEADERSHIP.
ASTM Staff Contact: Barbara Schindler, Phone: 610-831-9603; email@example.com
January 3, 2013